Just a 5-minute walk from The Nativity Church, there is a small chapel named “Milk Grotto”.
The chapel of the present day was built by the Franciscans in 1872. The condition has been maintained well.
Legend of Virgin Mary and Jesus
According to Christian legend, this grotto is a cave the Holy Family found when they were escaping to Egypt from Herodian Soldiers.
The story tells that a drop of the milk of Virgin Mary fell on the floor when she was about to breastfeed Him, and it changed the color of the whole cave to white.
Since then, many mothers troubled with poor milk supply visit this place. Even now, not only Christian women but also Muslim women come to pray.
Its inside is so peaceful. It would be a nice visiting while doing window-shopping of souvenir shops on the way.
- Milk Grotto St.
- Summer (Apr – Sep) 8:00-12:00 & 14:00-18:00
- Winter (Oct – Mar) 8:00-12:00 & 14:00-17:00
- Admission Free